2.06.2015

Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas

Almost a year ago, I completed a round of the Whole 30... well, actually I did a Whole 29. On day 30 we were traveling to Vancouver for an Alaskan Cruise, and while the morning started out alright, I found it difficult to stay on this very strict Paleo inspired diet while living in airports all day & traveling with a 2 year old & a 4 year old. It was hard enough to learn short cuts that would get me started on this journey, but then to make sure I was consuming approved items while traveling was quite difficult. And, I needed some Starbucks!

Either way, the Whole 30 taught me a lot about food and how well my body & mind can function if I'm fueling it properly. From there I ventured into the world of Paleo more by purchasing a few cookbooks. My favorite is "The Paleo Kitchen" by Juli Bauer & George Bryant. Their Pulled Pork recipe has become my go to. It's simple & can be thrown together while I'm eating breakfast. Their recipe calls for you to rub the pork with a dry spice mixture and refrigerate, but I always forget & just end up throwing everything in the crock pot for the day. It still turns out delicious!



Recipe:

Serves 6
  • 2.5 - 3 pounds Pork Tenderloin
  •  1/4 cup Water
  • 2 tablespoons Smoke Paprika
  • 1 tablespoon Sea Salt
  •  1 tablespoon Chili Powder
  • 1 tablespoon Ground Cumin
  • 1/2 tablespoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
  • 1/2 tablespoon Dried Ground Oregano
  • 1 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
  • 12 Corn Tortillas or 6 Flour Tortillas
  • Fresh Romaine, chopped
  • Fresh Tomatoes, Chopped
  • Shredded Cheese
  • Greek Yogurt
Directions:
  • Place pork tenderloin in slow cooker, pour water over top.
  • Mix together seasonings & sprinkle on top of pork.
  • Turn slow cooker to low & cook for 8-10 hours.
  • When pork is done, pull apart with 2 forks.
  • Place the pork in tortilla(s) & top with romaine, tomatoes, cheese & Greek yogurt.
  • Enjoy!
 21DF - 1 Red, 1 Green, 1 Yellow, 1/2 Blue

No comments:

Post a Comment